Friday, January 08, 2010

ORCHIDS

"When the emotions are strong one should paint bamboo; in a light mood one should paint the orchid." - Chueh Yin

I visited Parkside Orchid Nursery the other day and was graciously permitted to photograph. Unfortunately I will not be able to provide the names of these orchids which I have posted. Remember, you can view these photographs full size if you click directly over the image.

Some of the plants in one greenhouse had just been sprinkled, and I shot this opening bud with water droplets.

I found this shot fascinating because I captured a bud and the flower, both full front and in profile.

I was intrigued by the jagged edges on this orchid. I love this photo because the short depth of field makes it more artistically interesting.

Here is a close-up of the same flower on a different angle. The extreme blurring in the background is called bokeh. Bokeh can be accidental, but many photographers adjust their camera settings to get an intentional bokeh effect.

The shape and color of this orchid fascinated me, and I loved this cluster.

I think this image will make a lovely notecard.

So many orchids have faces. What kind of face do you see in the center of this one?

This was one of my "art" shots. Major bokeh here -- I love the ruffled edge of one petal and the gorgeous color of pink.

If you would like to see the rest of my orchid photographs, please visit my gallery on my photography website. You won't be disappointed! I welcome comments here as well as on my gallery.

2 comments:

Victoria Cummings said...

i love orchids and your photos are exquisite! I've got three hardy plants on my windowsill in the kitchen that are getting ready to bloom. When the orchids come out every February, it always does my heart good.

Honeygo Beasley said...

Award-winning photography! Awesome. Thanks for the close-ups of these enchanting blooms. I would have liked to go there with you...