Thursday, August 19, 2010

A WALK IN NEW HOPE

New Hope, Pennsylvania is about 13 miles from my home. Last weekend I drove up to walk around the town and photograph. It had been a number of years since I had walked the streets, and I spent about 2 hours exploring.

On my way into town I stopped at one of the New Hope-Ivyland RR crossings and put my camera on one of the rails to get this picture.

Here is a shot of the bridge that crosses the Delaware River into Lambertville, New Jersey. If you look closely you can see many people walking to Lambertville. It's a popular thing to do. Lambertville is also a very fascinating town popular with tourists.

New Hope is a very arty town, and the window displays are always interesting. Here is a sculpture against a beautiful backdrop. The reflections adds a bit of intrigue.

This is a street shot which shows how quaint the town is.

Beside one of the more unique shops in town, I saw this arrangement of mannequins. How many faces can you see?

John and Peter's Place is a very famous nightclub. Many well known musicians have played here, and Ken Burns filmed part of his documentary AMERICAN JAZZ at John and Peter's Place.
New Hope once offered Canal Mule Barge Rides. This is a shot of one of the holding corrals for the mules that pulled the barges. There are still halters and ropes hanging from the posts. The canal is nearly dry due to a leak, so the rides have not been offered for about 3 or 4 years. In this picture you can see the canal in the background and the tow path.

This shop always has a very colorful fabric and clothing display when the weather is conducive.

1 comment:

Honeygo Beasley said...

Great post~ I wanted to go there last week but had too much work to do; it was on my mind. So reading this post and seeing your lovely pictures makes me feel like I went there anyway (I am not too far from New Hope either). What a great name for a town ... New Hope.