Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Dingle, Indian Paintbrush, and a lesson in straightness


This morning I met Deb and Patty at Teton Valley Ranch for my half day trail ride. I walked into the barn wearing my black riding breeches adorned with red horses. I told the gals that I had come dressed to spice up the west. My mount for the morning was a sorrel mare named Dingle. She was a new horse to the ranch and was still in her evaluation stage as a trustworthy trail mount.

As we started down the trail on the 4000 acre ranch which abutted the Teton National Forest, Dingle was bowed to the left. Therefore, I was dropping off to the right and extremely uncomfortable in the saddle. I started to "talk" to her to see if I could straighten her so the saddle would be centered on her back and she would be balancing my weight. I applied my right leg to her flank and gave little requests with the right rein to eliminate the bow through her neck and body. At first she was confused, but because I did not demand and asked tactfully, she eventually decided that she could comply with my requests. Mares are noted for being smart, and Dingle was no exception. She quickly figured out what I wanted, and once I established her straightness and balance, she maintained it through most of the ride with only occasional reminders.

We rode for about 3 hours plus a 20 minute rest stop by a beautiful creek. The meadows and ridges were a palette of color provided by a wide variety of wildflowers. Deb and Patty both carried wildflower identification books and were enraptured by the display of bloom. I asked what the red flower was that reminded me of our Monarda, or Bee Balm. It was Indian Paintbrush. Indeed, the rim of the leaves just below the bloom appeared to be brushed in crimson.

There is zen in everything we do; we have to learn to be mindful. Not only did the ride through the ranch territory and Teton National Park invite the opportunity to be "in the moment," Dingle's lesson in straightness can easily be applied to our own lives. In horses, straightness demands that the horse load each leg equally so that the energy created by the hindquarters can move forward through the horse's body with ease. Not only does this keep horses sound in limb, it also assists their balance and lessens fatigue. A balanced horse is a happy horse because it is free to move in harmony.

Likewise, we, as humans, are constantly challenged to maintain straightness -- keeping a sense of correct priorities, and balance in our internal as well as external environments.

Because the weather was so glorious, I decided to spend the afternoon taking the chair lift at the Grand Targhee Resort which ascends 10,000 feet to the top of Fred's Mountain. At the summit, I was able to view the Teton Range as well as Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.

I'm relaxing in my room now. Tomorrow I will meet Leslie in Jackson Hole for my second and last day of fly fishing on the Snake River in Wyoming. I enjoy your comments and news from home -- keep them coming! Love to all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so enjoying checking in to your journeys. I read the section on your fishing adventures to my hubby. He was impressed by the fish and the water itself sounds wonderful. Cold, clear. quiet, but with a song of its own. I picture it like "A River Runs Through It".
I had tears in my eyes as I read your passage on the raven feather and your gift to Jay (What a prophetic name, huh?)
I am living a mini vacation of my own reading through your journey notes. Sounds so much like this trip is more than a vacation. New Mexico is a magical place for those connected so to nature. Imagine Idaho is also. Ah- makes me long to travel again...

Notes from home - I wound up getting 3rd in the Intro A test! YAY. HAdn't really thought about how I placed. Was more about just DOING it. Like your balance discussion - the zen of it - making the connection with communicating and being in the "now" enough to carry through. Anyway (& back to reality), when I got to the barn tonight, I found Tader had a big gash on his right leg - right about at his elbow. A little swollen, very dirty. I pictured a little boy who fell & skinned his elbow. Cleaned him up & the vet can check it out tomorrow when he comes to breed Freunde (again - unfortunately it didn't take).
Am enjoying the blog - keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Your perceptive zen descriptions bring me down to where we all should be, in the "now". Not an easy task sometimes, at least for me. However, this summer off is affording me that opportunity. Just like Dingle, I am gently reminding myself to be mindful of my spiritual/mental balance, after a long bout with dis-ease. It is working.
One never knows how their words will connect to another. Thanks for this journal.
Rhettster

Anonymous said...

Fowllowing a pizza dinner with your Mom, Lorraine is reading Ed's printouts of your diary (I just realized I can get your site at home and print it out) and I'm here to tell you first of all that you have a book here (your Mom 's observation and I heartily agree) and to tell you that her phone is out of order, was supposed have been turned back on about 2:00 pm this aft. but they didn't SO not to worry when you call and no one answers. They've been working in the back yard digging and whatever (Unfortunately it does not say temporarily out of order, just rings and rings and rings on your end. This end there is simply no dial tone, nothing.)Ed and Dee are not home so in a few minutes I will get on my cell phone and put in a call to Verizon and find out what is happening.
Meanwhile, I loved, loved , loved your commentary of today and Dingle and her response to you. Children and adults respond best to that kind, thoughtful, gentle input - and so do I!!!! Your simile to life and straightening out and balance hits home!! Lorraine is happy that you had such a beautiful day fishing and we are all grateful, happy, thrilled that you are creating and enjoying all the magnificent moments of your vacation. But it is not surprising because you are so creative and positive and giving and bright and resourceful and loving and beautiful in body and soul!!!!
That's enough for now. I'll go join the other two crones (and 'baby' makes three crones) and catch you later.
Love and hugs from all three of us.
Gail Tower

Anonymous said...

Deb, I decided I would read quietly until I could say I was better.. well I am up... dressed.. moving around and definitely on the road to recovery! I am enjoying your visual pictures and your thoughts so much. You are truly living. The Zen of the moment! These are the moment you will flip back into when the meetings get tense and the days get long... what a storehouse of memories Deb. Last year Cath won a trip to Uluru (Ayres Rock) and we spent 4 glorious days in the red centre of Australia. We got a rental car and did much on our own. The sound of the earth.. the soft breezes as we lay on the land. The power of the monolith. All moments that are part of my store these days.
Keep it coming Deb, thank you for sharing your trip.
Jan