Saturday, July 09, 2005

Westward Whoa!

I have arrived safely in Jackson Hole. The morning antics with my excessive luggage was like a "funky fumble," but the flights were smooth and everything was on time, even though the security was high. When I caught my first close-up glimpse of the snow-covered Rockies, I could feel the emotion bubbling up within me. The Jackson Hole airport is small, so we exited the plane right on the field -- and off to my left soared the Rockies.

I picked up my rental car and headed towards the town of Jackson, making stops at the state trout hatchery and the Visitors' Center. There was a spotting scope on the second floor of the Visitors' Center, and I spotted two ravens sitting on a fence by Flat Creek. One raven sidled towards the other amorously, and then they stroked each other with their beaks. There was definitely chemistry going on there!

I am staying at the 49er Quality Inn and Suites tonight. I decided to have dinner at the Wild Sage Restaurant about 3 blocks away. When I arrived, I was told that I needed a reservation. They were full, but western hospitality was extended and I was offered a seat on the couch facing a huge fireplace built from wonderfully smooth stones taken from the Snake River. The mantel piece was a unique piece of gnarled wood, and I found many faces and paws in the knots. An artist would have had a heyday with it -- a good subject for a sketch or painting! I kicked off my shoes, ordered a glass of Chardonnay and enjoyed an exquisite meal served on the coffee table.

It is only 7:30 here, but I am tired. I was so keyed up last night, I got about 4 hours of sleep at the most. I'm sipping a cup of hot tea and will sign off with love to all my friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Posted already!
Am travelling with you.
Jan

Anonymous said...

Your travelogue is great, it puts me right there. Glad to hear your trip is off to a fabuluous start.
Love that chardonney.

Rhettster