Saturday, November 24, 2007

KILLING FROST



I walked outside early this morning to see our first killing frost. The thistle was weighted with crystals and drooped in willing defeat. The grass protested under my shoe, the shards of ice unable to hold me. A killing frost helps put the natural world to a gentle rest to prepare for warm rebirth.

A KILLING FROST
by Jay Parini

Beside the pond in late November,
I'm alone again
as apples drop in chilly woods
and crows pull tendons like new rubber
from a roadkill mass.

Ice begins to knit along the ground,
a bandage on the summer's wounds.
I touch the plait
of straw and leafmold, lingering to smell
the sweet cold crust.

An early moon is lost
in sheer reflection,
wandering, aloof and thinly clad,
its eye a squint of expectation.

I know that way,
this looking for a place to land
where nothing gives,
these boundaries of frost and bone.

2 comments:

Honeygo Beasley said...

Still my mini rose bush
stays in blossom.
A rarity this time of year.
No push
to dig up and turn indoors.
Will it last through the holiday cheer?

Honeygo Beasley said...

Another great photo, Deb!