Sunday, December 02, 2007

Winter Walk

Hannah and I ignored the weather today and went for a walk at Tamanend to enjoy the first snow of the season. The "white stuff" excited her, and she would shovel her nose into the snow and come up with ice crystals all over her face. Then she would take off and run wildly. The beauty of Tamanend is not spoiled with paved paths, and the natural terrain is much easier on my joints. This is one of the main trails.



When I am carrying my camera, my eyes are searching for unusual shapes and colors. The tangled wildness provides much inspiration, but so often my camera does not catch what my eye sees.


Deep in the woods there is a pond and a stream. Today the pond was glazed with a fine patina of ice. Dark stars punctuated the surface, and the thin ice reflected the trees.


The pond is small, but the setting is exquisite. There is a dock at one end, and last week Hannah intentionally slid off the dock to swim in the deep, dark water. She immediately panicked and turned around -- her efforts to climb onto the dock were futile. I couldn't coax her to the shore, and wound up having to pull her out of the water.

Tamanend Park is a real sanctuary. My walks there are meditative, and I always come out with my spirit renewed.

1 comment:

Honeygo Beasley said...

Love the photo of the trees' reflections in the water! You and Hannah must have enjoyed your walk in the season's first snow. Stop by my blog to check out Chloe and I on our walk that same day ...!