Friday, February 19, 2010

MORE WINTER IMAGES

I frequently tramped eight or ten miles through the deepest snow to keep an appointment with a beech-tree, or a yellow birch, or an old acquaintance among the pines.” (Henry David Thoreau)

I like this Thoreau quote because I find myself doing the same thing as a photographer -- when the lighting or season pulls me, I trek to favorite photography haunts.

I saw this old tractor in a farmer's scrap field. The original photograph is interesting, but I played with it in PhotoShop and really like the "poster effect" treatment. I am thinking this one may be worthy of entering in a contest that has a post-processing division -- maybe the 2010 Grange Fair?
Another one of my creek snowscapes. I loved the way the branches add interest, and the depth of field is good.

This farm is on one of my favorite back roads that has escaped development. I love the contrast in this landscape.

I wanted to emphasize the simplicity of this landscape -- the expanse of snow meeting the grey sky with only trees to break the line.

This gazebo reminded me of a cupcake!

A lattice that caught my eye -- I love the blurred background -- not quite bokeh, but still adds to the image.

Lots of people would say -- why a fire hydrant? This one was yellow instead of the normal red and white. I really liked the splash of color against the snow.


Most split rail fences are left natural. The teal color of this one really pulls the blues/greens out of the snow.

When I shot this one, it was snowing. I love the disappearing background in the haze.

We had a light snow after the big snowstorm of Feb 10th. It looked like little bunches of cotton had been placed on the tree branches. I probably should have zoomed in and taken some close-ups to capture the effect.

2 comments:

Honeygo Beasley said...

The fire hydrant shows how deep the snow is, too. I really enjoy the farm landscape one - would make a lovely painting, too. Very good quote to explain what you do - thanks for sharing!

Life With Dogs said...

As a Vermonter I must love these - especially considering that we've had no snow to speak of in moths...