Friday, August 13, 2010

SUNRISE

"Life is a great sunrise. I do not see why death should not be an even greater one."
~Vladimir Nabokov

The other night I could not sleep. Finally, at 5:30 a.m. I decided to get up, get dressed, and go photograph the sunrise. I knew of a spot about 20 minutes away where I thought I could see the sun come up over the horizon -- horizons are not friendly in my area. When I arrived, there was a pink tinge where I thought the sun would appear. Got out of the car with Hannah and walked around a large field and watched the sky change.

Given that it was cloudy and a bit foggy, I did not see the sun appear over the horizon. My first glimpse was through the clouds just above the hills and trees.

This was my first glimpse of the full orb of the sun. The clouds were very dramatic.

After I left the field, I decided to explore the back roads. It was cool, and I had all the windows open in the car. Hannah was very excited by all the scents and kept popping her head in and out of the window. Normally I do not permit this because I think it is dangerous, but I was driving slowly, and there was very little traffic. This was an interesting barn which caught my eye. I love the contrast from the brown to gray.

As we continued to explore, I came upon this small house -- so many old farms had these stone out-buildings which were often spring houses. Some are root cellars and well houses. But the wreath caught my eye. Loved the weather-beaten door and the potted plant.

All photographs can be viewed in larger sizes if you click your mouse directly over the image.

No comments: