Monday, July 04, 2005

On The Trail


Deb and Lark on the trails Posted by Picasa

Several months ago, I read and savored a priceless little book titled ZEN AND HORSES by Ingrid Soren. The author, a student of Zen Buddhism, shows how the challenges we face are finally met when we trust in the moment and, with grace, let go.

This book made me realize that my mare Lark has been one of my greatest teachers. She has taught me that my outer equilibrium is in direct proportion to my inner equilibrium. "Like meditation," Soren writes, "riding is a heightened state of concentrated awareness wherein one is neither tense or hurried, and certainly never slack." Real riding is not about control or demanding submission from the horse; rather it is about letting go, about being present, understanding cause and effect, and relationships.

Because Lark was the catalyst in making me aware of the journey, it seems only logical to introduce my blog-site by honoring the karma and power of the horse.

No comments: