Friday, July 22, 2005

The Tao of River and Mountain


"Enlightenment is not a matter of imagining figures of light, but of making the darkness conscious." -- C. G. Jung

Tao is a Chinese term that represents the basic concept of Taoism. Hilary J. Barrett in her article "The I Ching and the Tao" writes, "The Tao is the way. To move with it is to be in harmony with the nature of the time, fitting with it as smoothly as flowing water. " Hence, today's title suggests the way of river and mountain.

The largest impact of this wonderful, spiritually renewing journey to Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana was through my experiences on the rivers and in the mountains. The mountains invite stillness through their solid immobility, yet are alive through eons of sculpturing. The rivers, often originating in these mountains, serve a constant reminder that water flows through the channels of least resistance.

On Sunday, July 17th I drove to Somers, Montana on the northeast corner of Flathead Lake to visit Katy Meyers and her husband Terry. Katy and I have known each other since we were second graders in Shippensburg. When we parted ways after graduating from high school, we kept in touch by letters and Christmas cards, and eventually just at Christmas. With the advent of e-mail, Katy and I renewed our correspondence, but had not visited in about 34 years.

When I arrived, Katy was working in her garden and the connection was reignited instantaneously. We had a marvelous visit reminiscing, catching up on 34 years, and enjoying each other's personas molded by our experiences over these many years. The soul connection actually runs more deeply now than it did when we were teenagers.

Katy and Terry generously gave two days of their time to take me to Glacier National Park and on a raft trip. On Monday we spent the day driving the "Going-to-the-Sun" highway in Glacier National Park. At the summit we sat by a tiny stream and enjoyed a delicious organic lunch Katy had prepared. The waterfalls, lakes, and wildlife of Glacier were spectacular.

On Tuesday we spent the day rafting the North Fork of the Flathead River. The trip was guided by Steve, a passionate environmentalist with a head full of dreadlocks. This river was much calmer than the Snake in Wyoming. We drifted slowly and paddled through some tame white water. We stopped several times to relax on small rocky islands. Both Terry and I fished, relatively unsuccessfully, but the rhythm of casting to the foam lines and riffles was the ultimate in zen. Eagles honored us with their presence. Imagine three of these magnificent birds circling overhead in the depths of wilderness on a river of green.

And so my final two days were spent in the mountains and on the river. If your soul is open, you "will" hear, see, and understand the tao of river and mountain. It is my wish for you, the reader, that you may someday enjoy a rebirth similar to what I have experienced on my journey westward this summer.

I promise to continue blogging whenever the spirit moves me. Likewise, please continue to share your own experiences, thoughts, and insights. For those of you who immersed yourselves in my daily entries and traveled with me in spirit, I thank you for your friendship and presence.

Namaste!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pictures add so much to the powerful words. I have thoroughly enjoyed "being along with you" on your trip.
Rhettster

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Deb for the pictures to connect the words. Those wide skies and clouds... I love seeing the expanse of horizon. Its something I dont see here in Sydney. Aussie keep planting all these tall trees!

Jan

Anonymous said...

Deb: What a wonderful diary - have read but not absorbed it all. I am charmed by your mouse friend - yes, itwould make a great children'ts book. I don't know anybody else from the east who has been to targhee -spent a fine ten days there and have a picture of me on top of the ski lift. Your response to Old Faithful is right on target. I found other parts of Yellowstone far more captivating. I was amazed how the fire of many years ago stopped just short of the Inn. Rest of your trip hasn't been part of my travels so need to absorb your wonderful pictures and comments when I have more time I would also like yu to explain blogging to me the next time I see you as this is a nw world to me. Contnue well and I look forward to hearing about your trip in person. Warmly,Mary Virginia