Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Just What's In A Name Anyway?

“Words have meaning, but names have power” (anonymous)

Raven... Sophie... Dakota... Gaia... Heidi... Lyra... Moxie... Rio... Zoe...
Like anyone who is anticipating the arrival of a pet, I spent weeks thinking of names. Friends joined me by making suggestions and reacting to those I'd brainstormed. My list grew longer and longer.

Because I love "looking up" at the stars, planets, and constellations, Luna was at the top of my list for many weeks. Eventually as I sounded the name over and over, it began to sound like a looney name for a lunatic, something I did NOT want in a puppy.

Then I considered synonyms for black like Shadow and Onyx . . .

Complicating the process was the AKC regulation of limiting the name to 27 letters and spaces. I was also asked to include the kennel name Ridgeway.

One day the name Hannah came to me as if it were whispered on a breeze. There was absolutely no reason why Hannah suddenly went to the top of my list. It just seemed like the perfect name and was also two syllables and easily verbilized, valuable training tools.

Hannah is from the Hebrew name Channah. Hannah \ha(n)-nah\ is pronounced HAN-ah. Its meaning is "favored grace." Hannah was the mother of the prophet Samuel. Being barren, she asked God to bless her with a child, and her prayer was answered. Hence, the name literally means "God has graced me with a child."

Very appropriate. Our Hannah is certainly a favored one who has graced our lives.

And because I liked the names Shadow and Luna, her AKC registered name is Ridgeway Moonshadow Hannah.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you started it up again! You're in my favorites. XO

Anonymous said...

Your writing is always so thought-provoking, touches me on a deep level. Nice that you are back.

Honeygo Beasley said...

I love Hannah's ful name! : ) Perfect.

BookBeth2.0 said...

Hi Deb. Reading your blog is more fun than getting ready for the next libraian meeting. I took a break to think about our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel's "real name"
You are the first to know that Bailey's official name is Charisma's Bailey Boop
His mother was Charisma's Betty Boop