Monday, September 10, 2007

My Way

"Learning the value of silence is learning to listen to, instead of screaming at, reality: opening your mind enough to find what the end of someone's else's sentence sounds like, or listening to a dog until you discover what is needed instead of imposing yourself in the name of training."
Thomas Dobush, Monk of New Skete

Once I gave official notice of retirement in February 2007, I began to prepare for the puppy's arrival ...... by reading! While I could not accept any trainer's total package, I came away with a new understanding of the canine mind. As a person who has been around animals most of her life, I knew that I would pull ideas from each book and ultimately train Hannah "my way."

Cesar's Way introduced me to the concept of alpha dog.

The Dog Listener reinforced the alpha dog concept but strongly embraced training without pain or fear. Trainer/author Jan Fennell was inspired by the famous Monty Roberts who authored The Man Who Listens to Horses and utilizes the "join up" method of human-animal communication.

Katz On Dogs resonated with me the most. Jon Katz is not afraid to admit that he loses his temper and makes mistakes while working with his dogs. The "case studies" he presents to illustrate specific training techniques showcase Katz's skill as a writer. I was genuinely sad to finish the book.

But Suzanne Clothier spoke to my heart in her book If A Dog's Prayers Were Answered...Bones Would Rain from the Sky. She refutes the alpha dog concept believing that it actually foster's unfairness and cruelty in dog training. She speaks of the "light" in a dog's eyes which should never be extinguished by inferior training.

"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Maybe, but . . ."
"Not very many listen though," he said.
"That's the problem," he added.
Bemjamin Hoff: The Tao of Pooh
May the light never disappear from Hannah's eyes!

2 comments:

Honeygo Beasley said...

Excited to see you're blogging again and looking forward to reading your posts. I love the concept of not extinguishing the light in your dog's eyes with inferior training. I am going to a training class tonight - just me - at ... Petco. I just wanted to add a little more disciplined activity into Chloe's week and give us something to do together, but tonight I meet the trainer by myself. Then it's one session for five weeks with Chloe.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy all the concepts. I think there is something to be said for having an order to things. . . . relationships. It seems it would depend on the dog itself. Just like humans, some are leaders and some are followers. Thanks for the blogity blog! Kyle:)