Thursday, November 25, 2010

A DIFFERENT KIND OF THANKSGIVING

“Being solitary is being alone well: being alone luxuriously immersed in doings of your own choice, aware of the fullness of your own presence rather than of the absence of others. Because solitude is an achievement.”   ~Alice Koller

I was so grateful to receive four invitations to Thanksgiving celebrations. How fortunate I am to have a wonderful circle of friends who thought about me this first Thanksgiving since mother's death.  But solitude called to me, and I listened.  I decided to take Hannah and head to the New Jersey shore to spend time at Island Beach State Park.  We walked the shore line for 2 1/2 hours in a light rain.  I photographed, picked up stones and shells, listened to the waves breaking, and watched Hannah enjoy her first experience with the ocean. We were alone on the beach. Except for several fishermen we  passed no one, saw no one. We were alone with the sea spray and the screaming gulls.










2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Wow, I love these photos - fall at the beach on the east coast is so pretty. You've captured a special time. I love how you said you listened to the call to be alone. Well, not really alone - in nature and with Hannah. Glad you had this wonderful trip and are sharing it with us through your words and lens.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Honeygo Beasley said...

Deb, looking back at your photos - they are so wonderful. Thanks for the lovely Christmas letter. I was really impressed by all that you wrote. Very inspiring and wonderful, full of memories and also looking ahead - your words ring so true.

Cindy