Thursday, September 17, 2009

BLOGGING THOUGHTS

I've been a non-blogger recently, but I'm sure no one has noticed except for Faithful Cindy. I have visited other blogs that I enjoy and leave comments for the bloggers, but for some reason I do not seem to attract any interested readers or followers. Is it the name of the blog? Is it the variety of topics I post? Would I gain more of an audience if I did something cutesy, or on a single topic, or humorous? But then it wouldn't be ME. I happen to be fascinated by many things. Interesting articles catch my eye and trigger thinking... I share and hope others will be interested as well? Doesn't seem to work. I post lots of my photographs, but they seem to disappear in cyberspace. So, I have not yet discovered the secret to successful blogging. After all what is the purpose of blogging if it reaches no one? I had hoped that by posting my ideas, thoughts, photography, etc. it would appeal to a cyber community. So I guess I feel a bit alone and lost like the statue in the photo I snapped at an antique barn near Doylestown.

6 comments:

Honeygo Beasley said...

I suggest you use the Google tracker to see how many hits you get on your blog a day.

The tracker is Google Diagnostics - look it up online and once you sign up, you have to embed a code in your blog html script before the body command and that will track hits.

Check it out...

You may be getting guests who don't leave comments.

There are articles on successful blogging online too - look them up.

Keep being yourself. You need to build a following among like minded friends.

Jan Mader said...

I dropped by from Honeygo's site and I'm glad I did.

I'm writing from my blog about animals, but I have a blog for people who like to write too. I'm a children's author. Please visit me at either of my blogs!

http://animaltalk4u.blogspot.com
http://igntietowrite.blogspot.com

I've had my blog for writers since January. I started my blog for animal lovers in the spring. I have really enojoyed meeting lots of new people from all walks of life. Like Honeygo suggested, I keep a tracker on both blogs.

I get lots more guest than I do comments.

I DID just add a guestbook at the very bottom of my animal blog. It's really fun to see pet photos!

I was going to just blog about dogs, but I couldn't NOT write about my horse, rescues, and other animals!

I think if you write about what you know and love the rest comes naturally. Be yourself!

Margaret said...

I know just what you mean. It's hard to build a blog. My blog didn't have too many followers before it was a Google blog of note, and even now it is not a huge blog like one hears about on the news. I would recommend you nominate yourself as a Google blog of note. Why not? Otherwise, since we're not getting paid, I think you just have to write what's on your heart. That's what I do. In the end, the only reader you need to please is yourself.

Loved hearing about your dog. It must be an amazing experience to have a therapy dog. We love the agility too, but we don't compete either. It's just something my dog and I like to do together.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hey, my name is Tweedles, I am a pug. I started blogging in February.
I saw some words that caught my eye.
You said- how do you keep from getting old- and to stay young?
I would really like to know.
I visit everywhere. I love reading peoples thoughts. I love honesty. You seemed to fit the ticket to me- so thought I would leave you a comment and say hi.
xoxo
tweedles

Sandra said...

My suggestion is to write like no one is reading. I enjoy commenters, but overall, I blog because I like to. That said, it is good to find blogs you enjoy and visit them often. Leaving a comment of course. I don't do this indiscriminately, I decide where I want to comment based on if I have an interest.

Honeygo Beasley said...

Wow, Deb, you got some great comments here! I'm glad to read these other bloggers' thoughts and hope they've been helpful.

Have a great day!