Tuesday, September 29, 2009

WAITING. . . WAITING. . .

WAITING . . .

Those of you who know me have often had to respond when I ask what time I can expect you when you are coming to the house. Time, for me, as someone who does not hear a knock at the door or a doorbell being rung, is critical. When I wait for someone to arrive, it is an investment of my own time. It means that I need to be vigilant and WATCH the door or driveway so that I am aware you have arrived and can greet you.

As a result, it is frustrating when I sit and watch and wait for someone who says they will arrive at 1pm and do not show up until 30-45 minutes later, and yes, sometimes an hour or more past. It is an investment of my time -- sitting and watching and waiting when I could be getting something accomplished.

For me, it is an extremely frustrating situation that I have had to deal with -- even more so now that my mother is no longer able to answer the door or tell me someone is there. Even my dog doesn't help me. She doesn't bark at visitors.

So when someone with a hearing impairment asks when they can expect you, this is why. People with hearing loss compensate with vision.... and so we sit ... and watch ... and wait....

2 comments:

Honeygo Beasley said...

Great photo - and great post. I might suggest having your guests use their cell phone to call you on your cell phone when they get to the door and set your own cell phone to vibrate. That should solve the problem - unless you don't have a cell phone or they don't.

What do you think?

Debbie said...

That's a good idea if I can remember to carry my cell phone. That works for visitors I'm expecting, but not for drop-ins.