Tuesday, October 20, 2009

OLD CEMETERIES

When I was doing graduate work towards my master's degree in communication at Shippensburg State College (now University), I took a course in 35mm photography. At that point I was already fairly adept with my Minolta SRT 101 camera. The course assignment was to produce a sound-slide presentation, writing an original script and taking all the photographs to accompany the script.

Most of the students opted to do "how to" presentations which required very basic and straightforward photos. I had always had a fascination with old cemeteries and epitaphs, so I decided to do my project with a literary thrust. I titled it "Genesis." Everyone asked me why I chose that title when I was shooting cemeteries and gravestones. I replied that if you wandered long enough and often enough, reading the epitaphs of these folks, they became very alive. We are conditioned to think that death is an ending, but in many ways it is a beginning.

I used bird calls in the background, and my mother was the narrator. The tape was coded with signals for automatic advance of the slides. The day I was scheduled to show "Genesis," my mom came to class with me. My heart was pounding. I was very proud of my project and was eager to share. The lights dimmed in the classroom, and the bird calls started quietly. Through epitaphs and poetry and snippets about death by famous poets and writers, I used metaphor and symbolism to heighten the impact of the photography.

As the ending approached with a poem of uplifting hope, the bird calls started quietly and gradually became louder. Before the last slide shut off, I turned off the projector to a room of dead silence. The silence persisted a few moments, and then the professor spoke quietly, "Oh, Debbie, that was wonderful!"

I received a 10 which was a "professional" rating for the project.

Across from Tamanend, the park where I often walk, there is an old cemetery. I decided to explore it this afternoon. A number of the old stones had flags and a metal disc which signified that the deceased was a Revolutionary War veteran.

Old cemeteries so often have ornate iron gates. This one was obviously very beautiful at one time, but has fallen into disrepair. It had seemingly been reinforced with any kind of junk that was handy.

This shot reminds me of one of the photographs in "Genesis." I like interplay of light and shadow as well as the depth of field which keeps the entire photograph in focus. I also like the white above the tallest stone, somewhat suggestive of spiritual energy.

Behind the cemetery was this magnificent tree. I wondered if this tree was as old or older than some of the oldest tombstones? I thought it was an interesting metaphor -- the trunk was as white as bones. I am guessing it is a Sycamore? Can anyone verify that for me?

In this photo I attempted to shorten the depth of field so that the stones in the rear were out of focus, symbolic of the fading of the physical form after death.

3 comments:

Honeygo Beasley said...

There was an article in USA Today - yesterday - about cemeteries becoming a thing of the past, with economic strains on communities causing cities and towns not to have the money to expand existing cemeteries or build new ones and cremating being more economical.

I love your photos ...

Honeygo Beasley said...

And perfect for Halloween time!

Ruth said...

Oh this is nice, with lots of elements. I loved hearing about your class project. I imagine I would have had chills at the end of the show.

My favorite shot is the last one, I do love bokeh.

The tree looks like it could be a sycamore, but it's hard to tell. I don't know what other big tree would be white, but I'm used to seeing some spots on sycamores.