Thursday, October 15, 2009

HERON

One of those lucky shots at an unexpected time!

The other day I drove past a lovely pond where a lone swan was swimming. I decided to double back to take some photos. Recently I have been trying to pay particular attention to sharpness of focus.

I positioned myself on my stomach to use the ground to help me steady my camera and lens, since I was using my 70-300mm zoom, and started shooting. It was late afternoon so I set my ISO at 400. In retrospect I now realize that 800 might have been a better choice to help boost my shutter speed -- always a good idea when shooting moving objects.

I was snapping away, enjoying the beauty of the swan when I noticed a heron in the shadows. I thought it was a staue at first, and then it moved! I kept inching closer and closer, and the heron finally stepped out of the shadows and proceeded to walk towards a stream at the rear of the property. He paused, and I got this photograph.

Reminder: you can view these photos full size by clicking on the photograph.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I enjoy reading how you worked the shot - time of day, lens settings, focus, etc.

What a lucky shot, indeed!

Did you get dirty?

Debbie said...

No, I was on a very nice carpet of grass, so I didn't get dirty. Did not have good clothes on either, so didn't care if I picked up a stain or two.