Friday, November 20, 2009

10 1/2 INCLINATIONS

Ben Okri

When I attended the American Association of School Libraries Conference in 2006, I heard Dr. Ross Todd, an amazingly inspirational visionary in the field of school librarianship. He is Associate Professor at Rutgers University School of Communication, Information & Library Studies, Department of Library & Information Science. He is also the Director of CISSL
(Center for International Scholarship in School Libraries).

Dr. Todd emphasized that READING not become a lost art – today we find ourselves in a sort of CATCH 22 situation when it comes to reading. Librarians have always been strong proponents for reading, but now their jobs also require them to be leaders in technology. Reading has been victimized by the digital information explosion. We need to re-think and create reading incentives that incorporate technology. . . . and to get kids to read, we need to address the reasons why they don’t.

Several years ago I read a marvelous article where the British Royal Society of Literature asked authors to nominate 10 books they think children should read before they leave school. This was part of a quest to develop a universal list. Most named well known classics like Alice in Wonderland, Dr. Seuss, Catcher in the Rye, something by Shakespeare, or The Hobbit.

But, in my opinion, African poet and novelist Ben Okri came up with the best reading list which he titled 10 1/2 Inclinations.

1. There is a secret trail of books meant to inspire and enlighten you. Find that trail.

2. Read outside your own nation, color, class, gender.

3. Read the books your parents hate.

4. Read the books your parents love.

5. Have one or two authors that are important, that speak to you; and make their works your secret passion.

6. Read widely, for fun, stimulation, escape.

7. Don’t read what everyone else is reading. Check them out later, cautiously.

8. Read what you’re not supposed to read.

9. Read for your own liberation and mental freedom.

10. Books are like mirrors. Don’t just read the words. Go into the mirror. That is where the real secrets are. Inside. Behind. That’s where the gods dream, where our realities are born.
10½. Read the world. It is the most mysterious book of all.

8 comments:

Susan said...

Your blog is amazing - so colorful, cleverly laid out, love all the pics and articles.Interesting ideas about reading not becoming a lost art - especially in these troubled times.

Mary Ann said...

I'm at daughter Anne's in Telluride and just read the 10 1/2 inclinations re reading from your blog to her. She liked them. Think I will bookmark your blog. Beautiful border !

Fran said...

WOW!!! What a superb professional appearance you have achieved with your blog. The liquid photo is now my favorite! You must be having lots of fun with that one!

Mary Elizabeth said...

You constantly amaze me.......(and that is not easy).........I love to follow
the way your mind and spirit works...... "spirituality....thefearless exploration
of reality.....then all your experiences fall within its boundaries".
Reality is Life, and Life is Time , and Time is all there is...."

Loretta said...

This entry reminded me that I know mostly people who do read, quite a lot. Several are in book clubs and they are always packed full of information. Currently I am reading the latest book by Wally Lamb and also "The Post-American World". Most fun is to pick up something interesting "off the shelf", take it to work and see how many people will read it. Quite a few, and now we are saying in work that we have an unofficial book club.

MVSH said...

Dear Debbie: I love your blog. It is impressive that you were able to develop such a lovely one with quotes, pictures, over-all design. I don't understand a thing about blogs so when I have more time I will go back and click around your blog which engages the viewer in such a manner that I want to return. Congratulations! Lovingly, MVSH

Hillary- A Photographer Friend said...

Hi Debbie...Love your new appearance..really pretty and feels quite cozy to settle in the vines and flowers to read what new bits of wisdom you have to offer. I shared your link with both Steve and my son Sam to read your thoughts on technology and reading and your 'books to read' list..great ideas all.
Your blog is really a pleasure and I appreciate in my busy days off and running that you keep 'knocking on my door' to remind me to pop in and take time to read what news you have!
Happy Thanksgiving!!! Hillary

Ruth said...

I agree, that's a fabulous list! I feel inspired, very inspired by it. If this is where library and information technology is heading - I am thrilled.

Now I'm going to copy and paste his the 10 1/2 inclinations to a Word doc . . .