Tuesday, July 14, 2009

PHOTOGRAPHY AS ART BY ACCIDENT?

Am I a photographer or just someone who takes pictures? When does photography become art? Does a real photographer carry his/her camera at all times? Does a photographer "artist" go out on a photo shoot as a painter sits down to paint? Is it planned or spontaneous?

I like to "think" I am a photographer. I'm serious about my work -- constantly experimenting with light and my camera. I have purchased equipment to enable me to capture or create the photographs I envision.

But I often walk out of the house without my camera... and live to rue the decision. In two cases over the last several days I have picked up my camera to take with me and then decided to leave it behind. In both of those situations I lost a wonderful opportunity to photograph wildlife... one was a red tailed hawk sitting just twenty feet from me, and the other was two white tail fawns, still speckled, who burst out of the underbrush in front of me, easily within fifteen feet. When will I learn!?

What do you think? Is photography art, or is it only art by accident?

6 comments:

Peter Lourie said...

Great question, Debbie. Wether it's one or the other--art or art by accident, and couldn't it easily be both--the key is to remember the camera!! Thanks for the reminder. I'm always leaving mine behind too. Let's vow to capture those fleeting moments, those red tail hawks!

Anonymous said...

There are no accidents . . and if your intention is art then art it is. Photography itself is not art just because it's photography - it's art because of the ARTIST!!
WEEEEEE!
Kyle:)

Mariann Rea said...

Hi Debbie!
I think photography is definitely an art form. If you are just a regular snapper and record life as it goes then I don't think it's art but when you have learned it in school and make living with it like I do then yes. Both of my parents are artists (they draw and paint) so art comes naturally to me.
Never leave your camera at home - it should be the first rule of photography. Sooo many people have said that amazing things had happened when they had left their camera at home and it's so frustrating. It could be the Murphy law ;) Of course it depends on the type of photography that you shoot. For example mostly the only people I shoot are my relatives so I never take my camera when I go out in the city (unless I want to photograph the architecture). I don't care if a famous person walks by and I wont have a pic. But when I drive or walk in the nature then I always have my camera with me. You never know whats around the corner. ;)
That's my REALLY long opinion :D:D

Rick Rosenshein said...

Hi Debbie,
You are very welcome...glad to have helped you out. There are several other blog background sites out there...a google search would turn up several. If you decide to change, there are plenty of others to pick from. Take care and have a great afternoon. Rick

Ruth said...

I think it can be both. And I always regret if I leave the house without my camera.

loretta shatt said...

I love to paint and my friends call me an artist. I am uncomfortable with this because I cannot define the "A" word. I have come to believe that we are meant to be creative, every last one of us in our own way. Some of us take it more seriously than others. I say to heck with the "A" word!