Wednesday, July 22, 2009

RULES OF TRAINING



Hannah, still damp after a swim. Wonderful Labrador expression.

Jon Katz recently posted these rules of training dogs on his blog. I LOVE his approach even more now than when I first read his book KATZ ON DOGS in preparation for bringing home a black Lab puppy named Hannah. We must remember that our animals MIRROR us, and by looking into that mirror we can understand where our approach and training have been ineffective. We, the owners, are usually at fault for the problems we experience with our dogs.

If you are a dog owner, reflect on these rules and think about how you approach training and how you read the reflection your dog is mirroring.

Katz's Rules of training:

l. Be patient.
2. Use few words.
3. Be positive.
4. Be even more patient.
5. Take responsibility. The problem is often yours, not the dogs.
6. Lead, don't overpower.
7. Be committed. Training a dog is a spiritual responsibility that goes on everyday of the dog's life. It never ends, and cannot be accomplished in a few classes.
8. Be wary of gurus. You know your dog. Trust your instincts. Use what works.
9. Be more patient.

Patience has never been one of my virtues, but when I am training Hannah, I am very aware of staying centered and quiet. If I feel myself getting irritable, I end the session on a good note and quit.

Using few words is so important. Everyone can relate to shutting out someone that yaks at you constantly. Our dogs do the same -- the more you talk at them and the more you repeat their name and commands, they eventually just tune you out. And then you are left with a dog that doesn't pay attention. One of my pet peeves is trainers who shout or yell commands. . .dogs have acute hearing. They don't need commands barked.

Take responsibility -- that means taking a hard look at yourself as a trainer and how you communicate with your dog. Be responsible for making training a life long philosophy and commitment.

I cringe when I see people get rough with their dogs. If I were a dog, I'd bite! I feel that the alpha concept has led to vast misinterpretation and negative reinforcement. "I'll show him who's top dog!" Overpowering often creates an insecure animal, and insecurity often leads to aggression.

Gurus? You can have them. My philosophy of training has come from trial and error and little nuggets taken from many different trainers and authors of books I've read.... and even Victoria Stillwell and the Monks of New Skete.

1 comment:

Honeygo Beasley said...

One thing I find invaluable in regard to training is the idea of ROUTINE. Dogs love routines and to know "if I do this, you do that" or "if you do this, I do that." So consistency is very important in regard to training your dog to become habitual with desirable behaviors, too.

Good post!