Wednesday, July 29, 2009

PINK POODLE CLOTH

Tucked into the back of my closet is a pink poodlecloth jumper. Do you remember when poodlecloth was popular -- are you old enough?

This jumper was a Christmas present from my mother in the 1960's; I think I was about 15 years old at the time. After we had opened all our presents, my mom told me there was another gift for me upstairs. I went up and found this beautiful jumper hanging on my bedroom door. At that time it was complemented by a pale pink blouse with a sash at the neckline -- it could be wrapped to form a turtleneck, or tied in a fashionable bow.

I fell in love with the color and the texture of the fabric. It was soft and curly and so comfortable to wear. It was my favorite article of clothing for years, and when it became too small for me, I could never part with it. To this day I cannot part with it.

If you do the math, you will realize that this pink poodlecloth jumper is over 45 years old, and it still looks as beautiful as it did on that Christmas Eve.

So why is it still hanging in the back of my closet? I'm not even sure I know the answer, but I do know that I just love that pink poodlecloth jumper.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

What a great memory and a beautiful story about a beautiful article of clothing. You could have it made into something else:

1) A long sleeveless vest

2) Use the cloth to make a gorgeous cloth handbag for the fall or winter (large tote style)

3) Pillows

Or keep as is and keep the memory alive. You can hang clothing up as artwork - wearable art!

Debbie said...

At one time I did consider making a vest out of it, but not large enough for this middle-aged gal. The idea of a handbag is appealing. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Ah, memories of my ruby red poodle cloth dress come flooding back. Mine was a straight sack with three-quarter sleeves and a loose turtleneck. I wore it with a self-belt. I made it myself, and fully lined it because the mohair was scratchy as sackcloth.

I was a young bride at the time and felt beautiful and sophisticated in that dress.

Thanks for the reminder.