Sunday, December 06, 2009

AS THE WHEEL SPINS

Yesterday I went to Fleming Pottery Studio in Doylestown to see a pottery show and sale. It was a fun opportunity to photograph as well. There were a variety of pieces which were wheel thrown as well as slab built. Several potters were selling their wares or "stuff" as I joked with my friend Ron Andress, The Happy Potter. Ron is a real artist, with vision and a talent to make clay come alive under his hands. He is also a glass-blower. His glass work is also stunning.

This piece was very intricate. It was made by one of the other potters.
This is one of Ron's Raku pieces which I loved. I love the iridescence of this type of Raku glaze. I also loved the wavy handle base.

This is another of Ron's Raku pieces with a very creative raffia adornment. I said that I felt it was reminiscent of African pottery. Ron and his wife both said it had more of a South American feel to them. I actually bought a small vase with the black and white Raku glaze. While it feels very African to me, there is actually a spot in the glaze that looks Japanese, and this is why I liked it.


Another small Raku vase/pot by Ron.


This bowl showed one of the most colorful Raku glazes. The single holly leaf added a bit of interest. I was thrilled to pick up the iridescence so well.


If you are shopping for that unique piece of art -- either pottery or glass, visit Ron Andress and see his work. You won't be disappointed and just may find that perfect gift you want for a special person. 215-345-9911.

2 comments:

Honeygo Beasley said...

Awesome! I love the photos AND the work of Ron. Is that his phone number to contact?

Hillary- A Photographer Friend said...

Gorgeous shots of the pottery Debbie. I love photos so much..I can enjoy the beauty of all this 'stuff' and not have to find room on my shelves or dust it! Great images and lovely works of art!