Saturday, December 19, 2009

2009 TAMANEND PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST

I entered the Friends of Tamanend Photography contest in 2007 and did not receive any awards. Last year, with all that was happening with mom's medical issues, I did not enter. This fall on one of my walks to Tamanend I saw the contest posted. The deadline was very close, so I scrambled to have enlargements printed, matted them, and took them to the park office. On Thursday morning I received an email from my friend Hillary who is a wonderful photographer, and she congratulated me on my winning photographs which were on display in the Southampton New York Camera and Video store.

I entered this photograph in the people division, and it won a second place. The focus is not extremely sharp, and I was disappointed in the color quality. No photo editing is permitted in submitted photographs or they will be disqualified. This little girl was beautiful and adorable. She did exactly what I asked her to do. I told her to hold the leaves up and look at them instead of at me.

This image won a third place in the Natural Scenes division.


This photo won a second place in the Natural Scenes division. This is the old farmhouse in the park. I shot this picture while paying close attention to the reflection in the window pane. It came out very crisp and focused.

I've always liked this photograph because of the red foliage (center left). I thought it was a great splash of color in an other wise neutral photograph, but it did not place. Click on the photo for a full sized view.

This doe photograph was submitted for the Animals/Wildlife division and won a third place. The focus could be sharper, but it is a peaceful, calming image.

This photo won a second place. I was walking one day and had my 300m zoom lens on my camera when suddenly I spied this buck about 12-15 feet from me. He was standing in the foliage that bordered the path where I was walking. I raised my camera thinking he would bolt when I started pressing the shutter, but he just stood there looking at me. I should have adjusted my camera settings for a higher shutter speed, but I was afraid he would take off and I would totally miss the shot. It is not as sharp as I would like, but it is still an interesting photo. Don't you love the lyre shape of his antlers?

1 comment:

Honeygo Beasley said...

Congratulations, Debbie! What a wonderful accomplishment - I love the photo of the little girl with the leaves. It looks like she's the shot of color in a black and white setting. Awesome composition and "concept." You have a remarkable ability that's getting stronger and stronger. I am so happy for you ~ yey!!!!