Wednesday, December 30, 2009

DECEMBER PUPPY FIX

It's always lots of fun when Wendi invites me to go along to visit a litter of puppies. Mom is the black female on the right, peering in the window, wishing she could be inside with all the visitors. The chocolate is an American Lab. You can see the obvious difference in size and in the facial features. Rylee is an English Lab.

Here is a shot of seven of the puppies. It is very difficult to get a bunch of squirming puppies to all look in the same direction for a litter shot. It's even more difficult when some are black and some are yellow. Always more challenging to bring out the features on a black animal.

Then we got into a cutesy mode -- stuck this Santa hat on a very obliging puppy. Next year's Christmas card?

We shot quite a few photos of different puppies in the basket in front of the Christmas tree. I was struggling with depth of field to get all the puppies in focus. Everytime I upped my F stop for increased depth of field, I lost shutter speed. When I adjusted to regain shutter speed, then my depth of field diminished. This is more difficult when shooting inside, especially since you have to shoot fast.

I love this portrait shot. I think the patch of sunlight makes a very effective frame.

We took the puppies outside for about 10 minutes. It was very cold and windy, so we couldn't stay out too long. They are only 5 weeks old. I was just waiting for a puppy to investigate this blue glass garden ornament. . .

Another outdoor shot. It was difficult to get shots because the eight puppies were all running in eight different directions. There were also six adults and two children moving in different directions as well, often walking right in front of my camera as I was about to take a shot.

Play and fresh air is a prescription for tired puppies. In about 2 weeks they will go to their new homes.

1 comment:

Honeygo Beasley said...

Pawsome - those puppies are adorable, I loved reading your "narration." Interesting to see the differences between the two adult dogs. And I enjoyed your explanations of the way you had to think and manage things when taking those great shots. That was a wonderful puppy fix for Dec. - we can all use a puppy fix every now and then! Thanks for sharing.