Sunday, July 19, 2009

MAIRA KALMAN

I had picture books by Maira Kalman in my library at Hillcrest Elementary. At first I thought she was an older author-illustrator because her illustrations were kind of funky. They are unmistakable, though, and if you see a Kalman book, you know it is hers without seeing the name.

About two years ago I met Maira's mother in law who was a friend of a friend. She asked me if I was familiar with Maira, and fortunately I could say yes.

In some of my recent cyber-ramblings, I came across her NYTimes blog, "And The Pursuit of Happiness."



Known for vibrant illustrations that illuminate
everything from popular children's books to notable New Yorker covers, she partnered with Robin Hood's Library Initiative to create an alphabet installation at PS 47. Her son, Alex documented the process and the inspiration behind her work. Follow the link below for more information on this creative project.

No comments: