Friday, August 21, 2009

BUNNY NEST

Hannah discovered a bunny nest in my front yard. Thank goodness it is in the front yard! I can keep Hannah away from it. Here is the mother rabbit on the nest this evening. The grass cutters were here today. It's miraculous that the nest wasn't disturbed. Next week I shall tell them NOT to mow there, and I will mark it off with garden stakes.

Mother rabbit was gone this afternoon. You can barely see the lone baby rabbit in the nest. The picture is foggy because the heat and humidity were clouding my lens.


I put the close-up lenses on my camera and got this wonderful shot. Its eyes are not yet open, and it is covered with very downy fur. I was close, but I did not touch the baby. The mother rabbit was on the nest nursing it after I took these pictures, so I know my scent did not disturb her. She is accustomed to people smells and noise. I'm amazed that she has this nest right out in the open in the middle of my lawn!

In this picture I think the baby looks like a young deer. I wonder if the white stripe on top of its head will disappear as it matures?
In this picture you can actually see some of the fur lining the nest. The face is more visible so you can also see the unopened eyes. I've never seen a baby rabbit this young. What an amazing experience!

1 comment:

Honeygo Beasley said...

Thanks for this intimate picture of something we might not get a chance to see...