Friday, August 28, 2009

THERAPY DOG

Hannah with her reading buddy -- age 21 months.


When I retired from education I knew that one of the things I wanted to do was therapy dog work in the public schools. About three weeks after I worked my last day I brought home a 7- week old black English Labrador puppy which I hoped would grow up to become my therapy dog partner.

There were two reasons why I chose a Lab. First of all, I loved my friend Wendi's male Labrador Retriever, Wes, an AKC champion; I really wanted a puppy sired by him. Secondly, I knew that Labs have an exceptional temperament which would greatly increase my chances of success in training and certifying my puppy as a therapy dog.

When I brought Hannah home, the training began immediately. She was never held while I was sitting on the furniture, and she was never permitted to place her front paws on my legs. These resulted in a dog that does not jump on people and a dog that stays off the furniture. When Hannah was old enough, she was enrolled in KPT (Kindergarten Puppy Training) which is mostly an opportunity to socialize the puppy and teach basic commands. By the time we started KPT class, Hannah already knew those basic commands. At the same time we were receiving help from Wendi who has been training dogs for over 30 years.

I continued to take Hannah in the car to as many different places I could so that she would experience a wide variety of social situations and become confident. Probably the most exciting was taking her to the airport at the age of 5 months, walking thru the terminals, hearing the public address system, taking her on the escalator, and in an elevator. Amazingly, she took everything in stride.

By the time Hannah was 8 months, she was already showing the obedience of a year old dog. I enrolled her in an obedience class which we attended weekly for six months. At the age of 13 months Hannah passed her AKC Canine Good Citizen test. She now has the letters CGC behind her name. And, finally, at the age of 16 months, Hannah passed her therapy dog testing. Three weeks later she started working with a second grade class.

What exciting, rewarding, and gratifying work it is to take a therapy dog into a class and have the children respond by becoming more confident learners. They LOVE Hannah, and Hannah loves them.

Have you read Jon Katz's new book SOUL OF A DOG? A few of the chapters talk about his Border Collie, Izzy, who is a therapy dog specializing in hospice work.

3 comments:

Honeygo Beasley said...

Tell us more about one of her classes/outings ... a typical or recent therapy session.

It's so wonderful that Hannah is trained so well to do something that you both love.

Life With Dogs said...

I have not read that book but will go looking for it. You do great work, you should be proud. :)

Debbie said...

Jon Katz is one of my favorite canine authors -- no, he's not a dog. He just writes great books about them! Another one of his I just read is IZZY AND LENORE. Lenore is his Lab. Katz also has a website at www.bedlamfarm.com -- he's a good photographer too.